Extemporaneously Kate

Everything by the seat of my pants!

Ranting with Kate.

Posted by Kate on 1:13 PM
I haven't been to an actual college in a few years.  My mind is mushy and I'm out of touch with today's youth.  I've prepared myself by watching Daria, but I suppose that is quite dated too and dealing with the subject matter of high school.  High school, college, what's the difference when you're ten years older than everybody?

So now I'm the doddering old weird lady in all of your college classes.  Yep.  The one who asks stupid questions and who talks to the teacher like they are neighbors instead of having that teacher/student boundary.  Thats me.  And my purse, backpack, crocheted water bottle holder, and spiral notebooks all match.  A nice palate of purples and black. ^_^    My class mates are 18-21ish  and my bff and I milking what we can out of our last one or two years in our twenties.  We do find if amusing in that, "Hahahaaa  hehehee...hehheh.....heh......*sigh*" kind of way.

"But who cares!?"- Ruby Rhodd, The Fifth Element    

That crap aside, it feels good to be using my brain again for things thats not smalltalk, haircutting, and nail painting.  I am so bad at small talk and when you're doing cosmetology, you have to master the art of shooting the shit with strangers.  Naturally I forced myself into a habit of at least trying.  Well now that I don't have to, I CANT STOP.  Like yesterday, in my govt class, I look over at my desk mate's notes and notice he has very nice handwriting for a guy.   The words "You  have incredibly tidy handwriting."  somehow found their way out of my mouth, followed by, "My handwriting looks like my pen threw up everywhere.  I get home and I can't ever read what I wrote during class.  You must not ever have that problem!"   the guy was pretty polite about it and told me that he only writes neatly for class because of the whole note conundrum.  That right there just put more points in the creepy-old-college-lady fund.    You know the one.  The older woman who is unabashedly friendly and will strike up an unwarranted conversation with you.  She's so nice that you cant' bring yourself to ignore her/tell her you dont' want to talk.  God dammit.  i've come full circle back into ranting about this.

MOVING ON.

I watched almost half of  The Runaways last night.  Almost half.  My husband and I made the decision to turn it off.  It was boring and very dull.  Dakota Fanning should NEVER SING.  Ever.  and Kristin Stewart should NEVER TOUCH A GUITAR.  Ever.  Their acting was so bland.  From Fanning, this was a complete shock.  I love her acting.  With Stewart, I was willing to give her another go since the first thing I saw her in was the Twilight movies.  Its not her fault that the character she was portraying could have easily been played by a houseplant.  Stewart is just the same angsty person in everything she does, i think.  I saw a preview where she plays a stripper.  It's like Bella-the stripper.  Just like this was Bella cosplays Joan Jett.   the whole thing was annoying and boring.  :(  I was really looking forward to this movie.

AND THEN I GOT ANGRY.  Because I was thinking about Fanning's character.  She had no talent.  She was just pretty and skinny.  Thats why she got the job as their lead singer.  Maybe it was Dakota Fanning and not her character she was portraying, but this brought out the almighty rage in me.

Story time!! :D

You see, once apon a time, Kate was a  singer.  She was amazingly awesome and sang all across the land with her band.  They did covers so it wasn't that big of a deal but it was fucking important to her as it had been her life long dream to be in a cover band.  (dont judge me.)  Everyone told her how amazing she was and how much better she would be if she'd wear make-up and lose weight.  "Oh you're so bad ass!  Your voice is fucking awesome! but you should really lose some weight."  


She decided to ignore the haters on the principal of "if I'm so talented, who gives a fuck what I look like?"  Kate spent the next five years singing her head off and getting paid.  shit was so cash and she was even contacted by record companies who advised her to, "lose some of that weight."  One night,  she walked off stage and never came back.  She had enough of "we love you but you're too fat for music."  She never sang again.  Not even karaoke.  The end.

Naturally this hit a chord with me when I saw half of the Runaways.  So bollocks to that movie.

I'm done ranting for now.



Comments (4)


Blogger Ada
January 22, 2011 at 7:29 PM  

Ahh screw the haters, you're an awesome person :D I personally don't understand the weird barrier between older people and fresh-outta-high-school youngins. At least the older folks aren't consistently whiny -_-U

Blogger focusing the lens
January 22, 2011 at 7:56 PM  

... not even karaoke? But. But that's always the best, when someone gets up in the middle of all the off-tune Beyonce rips, and really belts something out. Seriously. Don't give up karaoke, too! :(

Think of all of us, stuck in the bar, having to listen to the wheezing of dying cats that pass as the voices of the masses (mine included) and give us a little ray of sunshine!


... or don't, that's cool, too.

Anonymous Anonymous
January 22, 2011 at 8:54 PM  

Awesome!! I like the older people in school, they're easier to talk to for me.

"you're too fat" ? Uuuh, tell that to the most amazing female singers of all time. WHATEVA

Blogger Unknown
January 23, 2011 at 10:51 AM  

Don't let the bastards get you down.

Post a Comment