Extemporaneously Kate

Everything by the seat of my pants!

So that test.

Posted by Kate on 11:12 AM
So what was going on there was I'm building a website and I've never done it before.  I'm learning html/css and I feel like a kindergartener encountering penmanship for the first time.  (what?  this pencil isn't just for scribbling on every surface I see?)

The website is at Hookerella.com and it is very VERY beta.  beta as f*ck, if you will.  actually, Its not even beta.  its like omega or something.    There are a few links on there as well as a place to get to my blog with the fancy use of Iframes.  I made the temp logo myself though.  yaaay me.


In other news, my husband and I (omfg married?!?) are traveling out of LLL to Houston to go see a reptile show!  I'm excited because I think snakes are just unbearably cute.  And it's supposed to be a biggun'.  Animal planet is supposedly going to have a rep out there so maybe I troll him.   I want to grab a python and dance with it singing, "Trolololoolololol" in the background.

So pix on that to come.

I also saw Whip-it for the first time last night.  Why in the hell have I not seen this movie before?  I, in my best shape, am built of muscle and speed.  (srsly.)  To start up a roller derby team, which I think some of us beauty school gals will do, will be motivation enough to lose the weight!  I want my most pressing decision of the day to be deciding between hotpants or pleated mini skirt.  I'm thinking hotpants.  So prolly sometime this week i'm going to buy some quad roller skates and some pads and then to got the skating rink and hip check all the pre-teens who get in my way.  And they will call me "crazy old lady on skates."  wait no...  They will call me, "THE CRUSHINATOR!"

Comments (13)


Blogger Christie Klein
October 30, 2010 at 12:21 PM  

!!!!! I have quad skates and pads and a helmet! I wanted to start a derby team at my college but didn't have the time :(

My derby name was going to be Mary Contrary ;_;

I'm not actually very good at skating though :(

My cousin used to breed lizards but he wasn't very good at it and they died.

Blogger DaniniPanini
October 30, 2010 at 2:08 PM  

I like reptiles.

Blogger Alex and Helen
October 30, 2010 at 7:17 PM  

omg I loveeeeeeeee Whip It! It's such an awesome movie. I also wanna do roller derby myself, but I dunno...lol. I think it's more painful/difficult than the movie shows, so hahaha...one of these days!

Blogger Ada
October 30, 2010 at 8:39 PM  

For the website, I recommend not using a pure black BG D: it makes the text rather painful to read due to the contrast!

I think most web designers underestimate the value of color theory, so it would be a great idea to read up on that :D

Blogger Kate
October 30, 2010 at 11:56 PM  

@Ada- This is very good advice! I will definitely study up on color theory. Thanks ^_^

@A&H- yeah, I would imagine it would be quite a bit of pain but still, what a rush it must be? :D

Blogger HSP
October 31, 2010 at 12:16 AM  

If you'd like to learn HTML/CSS shit, I really recommend W3Schools http://www.w3schools.com/! HTML can be a cinch to learn but the hard part is designing something nice with it XD

Anonymous Anonymous
October 31, 2010 at 3:18 AM  

I'm not fond of a black background either. Perhaps you can use frames for your layout? Frames don't work on some browsers, or at least from what I heard, but it's the easiest way to get a nice layout.

Roller derby + hotpants = DO EET
That sounds badass to the max.

Blogger Kate
October 31, 2010 at 9:13 AM  

@HSP- I will check that site out! My html/css-fu is weak.

@ Butters- I just threw that all together to have something there so it's not permanent. I was actually planning to stay away from frames for that reason. But then again, since I am a newb at making websites, I may have to use them just to get make something that doesn't look fail. ^_^()

Blogger Nostalgist
October 31, 2010 at 11:38 AM  

don't give up too fast..

Blogger Tony
October 31, 2010 at 4:35 PM  

learning css and html for the first time is frustrating!

Blogger iammyself
October 31, 2010 at 10:33 PM  

good luck with the new site!

snakes and lizards are so awesome

Blogger Johnny Boy
November 1, 2010 at 10:28 AM  

Good luck with the learning process. It does get easier with time and soon you will be building websites like a pro. Side note: Whip it was a great movie.

Blogger Craig Phillips
November 3, 2010 at 2:51 AM  

My advice: Dreamweaver (or some other pagemaker that gives you WYSIWYG - google that) and a premade template page.

Then, it's all cake. You use the WYSIWYG view to just rearrange the template into something more original, then you can switch to a code editor view and tinker with little things - it's so easy to pick up HTML when it's already written for you.

Post a Comment